All of us look forward to the reopening of our churches for masses and other liturgies, but this will not be without its challenges.
We just want parishioners to be aware of some of these obstacles so that together, any ideas in resolving them, can be shared.
- with social distancing, the capacity of all our churches is greatly reduced. At two-meter social distancing, the capacity of Rathmore and Gneevegulla Churches is 60-80 approx.
- Shrone and Knocknagree Churches will present a far more formidable challenge.
- With limited capacity how will it be decided who is to attend on a particular day?
- A large amount of stewarding will be required to assist those attending.
- it is agreed in our informal chats, that no steward should be put in the position of having to refuse entry to some.
- Once Mass is over and all seats have to be sanitised … who is going to volunteer to do this … or will people be paid?
- What happens at that stage to our streamed Masses … ?
- If Communion is to be distributed what system will be used ….. given the circumstances Eucharistic Ministers cannot be rostered as before …. each will have to be given the opportunity to volunteer of they feel comfortable doing so.
- Since al large number of priests are cocooning … most Pastoral Areas are working on a skeleton service ….. When we reopen for Masses it is only fair that the option is available to all parishes in our Pastoral Area.
These are some of the conundrums that will have to be resolved….. If you would like to feed into the conversation please send email your suggestions to email@example.com